Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Things are good!

Everything is still going well. I went to the student organization fair today--I am considering participating in Moot Court and/or Mock trial--I have been told enough times that these things are actually looked at so I know that they are important. I am thinking that I am going to declare concentrations in both General Practice and Litigation. The concentration requirements are easily combined and I figure two certificates is better than none--right!

I am trying to decide if I want to join any of the bar associations. The local one requires me to join the state bar...which would normally be fine but I hear that they start paperwork early if you join as a student--I have a poor credit history that I am working on fixing now but that may not be apparent yet. I have been a single mom for a long time--I have worked full time and often gone to school--I never obtained state assistance, I just tried to do it all on my own and there were a couple times, when I got laid off, that I had a hard time making ends meet and there were some hospital bills that I let go to collections that I still have to pay off. The hospital bills are reminents from a company that I worked for filing bankruptcy. We found out later that they stopped paying our insurance 3 months before they closed. During those 3 months I had a dog bite me, had my first asthma attack ever (requiring a hospital stay), and my son fell off a swing set and sprained his ankle (requiring x-rays) all told--I owed over $5,000. I thought I paid it off with my bankruptcy settlement but I just found out that much of it is still on my credit report and the hospital has no record of the payment. I wrote down that I wrote a check but neither the hospital or the bank had record of it. I am still researching it, I can't imagine that I could have written a check for such a large sum and not realized that it didn't come out of checking account. My fear is that this would affect my entry into the bar. I know that they are good with past financial problems if they are indeed in the past and if there is a good indication that it won't happen again.

On other news my daughter--13, has her first boyfriend (the text constantly/hand holding type, not the dating/going out kind--she is too young for that.) I am slightly annoyed by her constant "he said this, and then he did this" and I honestly think I am a bit jealous--crazy!

My son--8--just started in a public school that has a boy scout troop, his first meeting was tonight and he was super excited. I have to get him a uniform in the next 2 weeks. I am trying to decide if I want to try freecycle (if you've never tried this system--look into it--it is fantastic!!) or ebay, instead of buying new. I never considered how expensive all this stuff was when I was a Girl Scout back in the day...it is a good program though--can't complain there.

No comments: